Friday, January 22, 2010

As time goes by...

January 22,1993....We had decide to do it.Get married.We did not have a big romantic wedding or spend thousands of dollars on a big reception. We had a little ceremony,by a judge, at the court house.I did the right thing and stayed somewhere else the night before.Seemed silly, but the whole not see each other before the wedding thing I guess.That didn't last long, because Mom,Dad and I went to have breakfast and well, I called Tony.
What is pancakes without Tony? We had a nice breakfast together and then went our separate ways until late afternoon. I did the hair,make-up thing and blah blah blah. I look back and remember it was gray and windy, but I didn't care. I was not nervous or worried things weren't in there place or who was or wasn't going to be there.
It was short and sweet and over before we knew it. He was so handsome in his tux.I have only seen him one other time in a tux (his brother's wedding).My dress and the lace shoes hang in a bag at mom's house. My flowers are in a box above it and that was 17 years ago today.
We have had many adventures and he has taken me to Alaska more then once. We have lived in Boise,Seattle,Fairbanks and now Anchorage. There have been tears,laughter,sickness and health.I have obeyed...OK, well sometimes I have,No wait.....Lets say I am still working on that one. We have lost friends and family together. We created the perfect human,Karter, but most of all Tony has done all this without complaining.He lives with me and that is NOT easy. I can except this.... and say without hesitation that I am a roulette shot. You can call it, but you never know what you will get.
When I started to write this I went over everything that Tony does for me. The list is huge.He truly takes care of Karter and I and I am so lucky to have that. Just for fun, I am going to list what Tony does for me on a normal day. I know I will miss somethings, but this is interesting. He ALWAYS is up before Karter and I. He showers,drinks his coffee,and then....he wakes the beast,Shannon.He does not let me wake to an alarm.He will turn off my fan and gently touch me.This is a life threatening job.If I awake to an alarm or get woken up rudely...It's all over.The day never recovers.I then listen to him blow dry his hair and when he is done, I get up.He starts my car EVERYDAY...Who needs auto start? He scraps the windows and cleans it off. He checks on me during the day and when the job gets out of hand, He listens to me at lunch complain. I try and call to warn them I am on my way home. I am not sure what they do to prepare for my arrival, but I am always greeted with hugs.Now that I think about this it could be a funny thing. I could see them running and screaming "The broom is landing!" picking things up,turning off shows they are not suppose to be watching,cleaning like mad men. It can't be that bad? Hummm Anyway. When I arrive Tony has fed Karter and for the most part cleaned up. Since I do not eat dinner, he takes care of that before I get home.If I go to the gym or tanning, they go or have already been so I can go alone.He will run my bath if I ask but I normally do this.He cames every time I call.Even for the littlest things.He watches what I like and I get him addicted to the vampire movies or shows.He will let me ooh and ahh over all my celebrity boyfriends.At night he tucks me in,brings me water,turns on any necessary machines,takes the dogs out,turns on the fan and shuts the door. All for it to start the next day.Now you may be wondering how this man has even survived 17 years of married life? Now that I typed that I am wondering how or why he has survived this long, WOW.I warned you that I was not easy.
With that all said, I am very lucky to have him. Now don't think that he does ALL the work. I have my fair share but I think he is the one that makes the sacrifices.He is the one that should have the anniversary. The anniversary of survival!
He is the half that completes my heart.I am lost when he is gone.Its as if I don't have an arm or leg. I walk in circles and am just not a functioning person.For this, I am so thankful.He is the first person I call, ok second after my mom but I do call him next.When I have done something stupid, HE is the first person I do call.
I know I am suppose to be typing beautiful words of anniversary memories and mushier stuff, but we all know that is not me.What I will say is if Tony stays around for another 17 years...I will be truly lucky.
Happy 17th muppet!
Hope you are all well!
The Eskimo's
P.S. Training for the 2nd annual running of the reindeer AND snowshoe soft ball continues!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Happy Anniversary!

You could have written mushy stuff....but seriously, the years of marraige aren't mushy....they are real....and when we can make each other happy and serve each other during the real times....well that is the best.

Congrats to both of you!